Under Armour Baltimore Marathon Race Recap

The question I keep hearing is, “What was the hardest part?”.  The answer I imagine they expect is some long diatribe about the monumental hill at mile 18, or perhaps even the 16 weeks of intense training leading up to last Saturday, my first marathon.  I’m sure the last thing people expect to hear is me quip, “The first 10 minutes after I crossed the finish line.” 

But that’s skipping over all the best parts, so, let me back up a bit and start at the beginning.

I had truly put the race out of my mind in the days leading up to the marathon.  I didn’t want to psych myself out, and I didn’t want to stress about things I couldn’t control.  Which is why, when I finally checked the weather report the night before, I was thrown for a bit of a loop.  All week long, the weather had been perfect with highs of 65 and lows in the 50s.  So why, oh why was it expected to be 45 degrees at the start with 16-20 mph winds?  Worse, according to the report, the temps would barely rise 3 degrees by the time I finished the course.  Might I remind you that I am a California girl (born and bred!) and have not adapted to the cold particularly well.  Suddenly the tank top and shorts I’d been planning to wear seemed like a very bad idea indeed.

Because I was to have 3 bibs pinned to my shirt (race bib, pace bib and a cute little ditty that read “FULL”),  I knew that I had to make my decision on race attire before getting to the start line.  That’s right, never put it past me to do a quick change in the corral two minutes before the start.  I opted for a long-sleeved tee and shorts which I layered with yoga pants and a hoodie right up until the gun. I then dropped trou right in the middle of Russell Street and handed the bundle off to my husband.  

I lined up with the 4:30 pace group as it seemed like a reasonable goal, though I really didn’t have any big expectations for my time.  More than anything, I just wanted to enjoy myself, or at least not be entirely miserable for 26 miles.  To be honest, the only reason I even grabbed one of those lime green pace bibs at the expo was so that I could have my name on my shirt.  I was hoping for some personal encouragement from the sidelines and thought having my name out there was the way to go.  Unfortunately, I think that trick must only work if it’s on the front of your shirt—I only had two shout-outs from people reading the name off my back.

When the gun went off, the herd headed north to Druid Park.  It’s an uphill climb to get to the park, which is aptly nicknamed Druid Hills.  I heard a lot of complaints about those first few miles, but I was feeling great.  In fact, around mile three I pulled ahead of the 4:30 pace group and never saw them again. 

Somewhere inside the park, I had my first taste of disaster.  The race committee had placed sporadic cones down the center of the road, which was where I was running in an effort to save my ankles.  I could see the crowds part around the cones up ahead, so it was pretty easy to maneuver around them every quarter mile or so—that is, until it wasn’t.  The girl running ahead of me apparently didn’t see the cone around the four mile marker and dodged it at the last minute.  I was right on her heels which left me with no choice but to hurdle the blasted thing while simultaneously struggling to stay upright.  The applause that followed was for my graceful  dancer-like moves, I’m sure. 

I really have no recollection of anything between miles 4 and 9.  Is that crazy?  All I know is that we looped around and started heading back to the harbor.  At mile 9 I saw Kirk and Uncle Paul who was gearing up for the half marathon start.  I got high-fives from them both and continued on around the harbor and onward to Federal Hill where I had my second near death experience.

You’ll remember that I mentioned the wind was pretty intense.  During some parts of the course it was a non-issue, as the tall buildings and trees kept the breezes at bay.  When we rounded the turn past Federal Hill, however, the bay was on our left side and the winds were whipping.  Spectators were lining the streets with handmade signs, pom-poms, and musical instruments and it felt more like a parade than a race.  Just when I was getting into the groove with a high school band playing a catchy beat, the wind caught one of the poster boards and hurled it across the street at me like a giant Frisbee.  The sign was on heavy-duty, quarter inch thick backing and it hit me right in the sternum while flying parallel to the ground.  Stunned, I caught then board and quickly recovered without slowing pace.  I held the sign up above my head as I ran, and got my second round of applause in less than a half hour.  After a half a block or so, one of the spectators ran onto the course and took the sign from me, which was probably a good thing as it wasn’t exactly aerodynamic.

Another mile or so and we turned around, heading back the way we came on the out and back leg of the course.  As I passed Kirk again at mile 13, I was totally in the zone and he had to shout my name to get my attention.  I shouted back to him asking if he could run, while pointing to my lips.  He was confused at first thinking I wanted a kiss, but quickly caught on.  He ran alongside the course until he found a break in the crowd and by the time he caught up to me he had the Chapstick out, uncapped and everything.  My hero.

It was a little surreal to pass the half marathon point and keep going.  Just 5 moths ago, I ran the Maryland Half Marathon and was dying by the time I reached the finish.  Imagine my surprise to cross the halfway point at 2:08:31, besting my previous PR of 2:11:15 and feeling great!  I was a little worried at that point that I had started out too fast, but just reminded myself that I wasn’t running the race to set any records. I just wanted to prove to myself that I could do it, and hopefully have a good experience in the process.  If that meant slowing down and taking those last few miles as slowly as I needed to, so be it. 

It was in between the harbor and Patterson Park that I heard a commotion behind me and turned around to see what the deal was.  Turns out all the excitement was over some guy running in a Dunkin Donuts coffee cup costume.  I laughed because I’d actually heard talk of him on the radio the day before and the broadcasters were wondering on-air who, in their right mind, would run in such a costume. They were cracking jokes about how badly it would smell when he was done and making dares for others to try it on after the race.  I told the costume-clad runner as much and he laughed, a little bummed that he had missed the segment.  We ended up running in the same vicinity for the remaining 10 miles, but  I didn’t get close enough to take a whiff.

At mile 16 the marathon and the half marathon courses merged.  The race committee kept the runners separate for a couple blocks to ease the adjustment, but there was still a bit of a slow down as there was also a water stop tossed into the mix.  Nearly all the runners had to slow down to a walk for at least a few steps before things started moving again.  This is the 3rd time I’ve run in the Baltimore Running Festival (my first race ever, a 5k in 2008 and the half marathon in 2009) and this has been a bottleneck every year.  Luckily, I’m a far cry from scoring any prize money, so I wasn’t too ruffled about it.

Miles 18-20 were uphill, and 20-21 were around Lake Montebello making it as windy as all get out.  My times suffered these few miles, but I wasn’t hurting or particularly tired, I just couldn’t seem to get moving.  I turned my iPod on somewhere during these few miles, and while it didn’t really get me going any faster, it took my mind off my Garmin.  I was relieved when we exited the race loop and got onto 33rd street safely below the canopy of trees.  After the race, I read that even the elite runners had a hard time in the stretch between 18 and 21 which made me feel a little better about my slowdown.  Apparently, the Baltimore Marathon is often compared to Boston in terms of it’s hills, especially those between miles 16-20 which is where Boston has their Heartbreak Hill.

Again, I don’t remember much of what happened between miles 20 and 24.  I know the crowds were intense and people-watching really helped pass the time.  Spectators were dressed up in bear costumes, and dancing in the streets and on the tops of cars. Gummy bears paved the streets and runners juggled as they ran the course.  Baltimore is full of crazies on a regular day, add 22,000 runners to the mix and there isn’t a greater excuse for a party.  

When I hit mile 24 we crossed over the Howard Street bridge and I knew it was all downhill from there.  As an aside, the hills didn’t bother me at all throughout the course.  In fact, there were times I didn’t even realize I was climbing until someone would yell out, “You’re almost to the top!” and I would look around to see what they were referring to.  I’m really glad I don’t get bent out of shape over hills because it’s the little things like that they can really mess with my head.

Miles 25 and 26 flew by.  Not only were we running downhill, but the wind was finally at our backs.  Those were some of my fastest miles.  My family was at the finish line, but I missed them because I was looking for cameras (the official race photographer didn’t even catch me at the finish—go figure).  Regardless, I crossed the finish line with my arms thrust above my head in a victory V and a huge grin on my face. 

And then I had an emotional meltdown. 

There was a bit of a bottleneck at the finish (apparently it was even worse earlier which explains why they stopped unwrapping the medals and were simply handing them out still sealed in plastic).  In a daze, I grabbed a water and a heat sheet and chose to bypass the line for food that seemed to not only have no end, but wasn’t moving either.  I managed to exit Celebration Village through a side gate and avoid most of the knot of runners, but that also meant that I unknowingly bypassed my family who was waiting for me at the exit.

I bee-lined it for the Johnny Unitas statue where Kirk and I have always met up in previous years, but he wasn’t there.  Thinking back on these few moments, I can’t recall what was going through my head, but I do know that I was pushing through the crowd, walking in circles around the statue … and moaning.   

The adrenaline had left my system, my legs were on fire, and all I wanted to do was collapse into a hug—something that was not happening.  After a few minutes of circling (and moaning) some sweet, kind-hearted soul took pity on me.  I felt a tap on my shoulder and heard the words, “Is there someone you’d like to call?” and a phone was passed into my line of sight.  I’m not even sure I ever even looked up into her face, but I do know I mumbled  thank you over and over as the tears finally started to fall.  To the kind woman who’s iPhone is now covered in my sweat—Thank youI’m so sorry I was such a nut-case. Thank you for realizing something was not right, and not just thinking I was some loon escaped from the crazy bin. 

Kirk was actually looking for me just on the other side of the street and was understandably concerned over my rapid decline.  He’d seen me cross the finish line positively elated ten minutes before and yet here I was, barely able to walk, let alone speak.  He dug through my bag of essentials (including a camera sans batteries, doh!) that he’d been wonderful enough to tote around all morning and tore open a pack of fruit snacks, thrust them in my face and said, “Eat”.  When those were gone he moved on to Wheat Thins and then supervised as I downed a bottle of water.  He called my mom who was still looking for me by the official exit that I never emerged from, and by the time she made it over to us, I was feeling ten times better.

I’ve never experienced a mood swing like that before and it was more than a little scary.  It’s amazing how physically drained you can be without even realizing it.  The adrenaline in my system completely masked any indicators that I was running on fumes (I took in over 600 calories and plenty of fluids on the run) and I felt amazing during that final stretch but I guess the emotional gauntlet of completing a marathon was enough to do me in.

The Baltimore Running Festival is one of the fastest growing races in the country which I think has presented a challenge—more so this year than in previous years.  Every report I’ve read has said that Celebration Village was a zoo, that the lines for food were insane and that the finish line was crowded with runners trying to get through the corrals.  These are all things that could be solved by making the finish area bigger and there’s plenty of room for that, so I have no doubt it will be better next year. 

I really enjoy running in the festival.  Parking is always easy and the crowd support is like nothing I’ve ever seen before.  The support on the course couldn’t have been better either.  There were water and fuel stops every 1.5 to 2 miles, making me feel silly for even bring my hydration belt (I could have done without the bruises on my hips it caused too).  The signage was great, the route was varied, and I truly have no complaints.  

These last couple of days I’ve been resting up, stretching and foam rolling like crazy.  The day after the race I could hardly walk, despite the ice bath I sat in for 15 minutes, but my quads have discovered a new friend in a rolling pin I found in the kitchen and it’s making a world of difference.  I still can’t climb stairs or sit without a grimace though.  And to think, I get to do this all over again in just six weeks.

I can’t wait.


22 Responses to Under Armour Baltimore Marathon Race Recap

  1. Jaime Runs says:

    What a great race recap — sounds like you were very well prepared for your run! Despite having a tough post-race, overall it seems like your first marathon was a huge success. Congratulations Olivia – you’re a marathoner!

  2. abbi says:

    Enjoyed reading your report and congrats once again! I can totally understand your breakdown at the end when you couldn’t find your family after being so completely exhausted and depleted. I was so ravenous for food at the end of mine but was also quite snippy and joyous at the same time to those around me. Rest up for your next one.

  3. Jamie says:

    Awesome recap. It brought tears to my eyes when you were talking about looking for your fam. I’m glad the iPhone lady let you use her phone.

    Sounds like you had great success and I’m super proud of you!

  4. Lindsay says:

    Lol about people applauding for your cone dancing skills! At least you didn’t eat it? I never have full memory of a race like so many others. Awesome about the half-PR in the middle of a marathon!! (who does that? Crazy!) great action shots of you running. The man with gummy bears ~mi 23 is awesome. I still remember him from 06 when I ran this one.

    Do you read “run girl run”? She did the Baltimore half, maybe you live close enough to run together sometimes? Hit her up! Jessruns.com

  5. Juliene says:

    Great job this past weekend. I ran the half in Baltimore(my first ever race) and I had no idea what to expect and I experienced much of what you did. The Celebration Village was a disaster as was the starting place for the half. I felt bad that we had to run through the full marathoners to get to our corrals. In general it was a good experience and I would probably do it again, hopefully you will too!

    • Hiu, Juliene! Hope you had a great race! Yes, I ran the half last year and remember having to dart aross the marathon route to get to the start. It seemed like such a massive oversight that I was suprised it was the same way again this year. Very strange…

  6. sarah says:

    First of all, you look incredible and happy and beautiful in those pictures. Secondly, the DD’s costume is not as I pictured it. Third, and most importantly, CONGRATS. Having a good race experience (emotional breakdown notwithstanding) is for real the most important part. I salute thee. Slash, think you all are nuts for signing up for second marathons, but whatevs.

  7. The Linz says:

    Wow Olivia! This is an amazing report. I can’t believe you got a hit in the back with a sign and didn’t even phase you. You rock! I can imagine how crazy it would be at the end of the race and how you could be disoriented. Thanks to the lady who helped you out. I probably would have started crying! And your race photos were fabulous! 🙂 You look so happy in all of them. Bummer about the finisher photo. 😦 We didn’t get a good one crossing the finish either. Congrats on rocking this race! This sounds like such a great first marathon! Woooo hoo!!

  8. I’m so glad your marathon was such a wonderful experience for you! I LOVE your race photos too, btw!

    I hope that my next marathon experience is this great!

    OH, and what an awesome time especially considering the hills!! You rock!

  9. Pam says:

    Great recap!!!

    But how in the hell do you manage to take race photos that good????? I always look like that nutcase escaped from the looney bin that you mentioned…

  10. Jess says:

    What an awesome race report. I’m glad you had such a fun time with this race. You were obviously well trained and ready to go!

    The Celebration Village was a mess though. I hope they do something to improve that for next year.

  11. Jamie says:

    Fantastic recap! And again congrats on an awesome 1st marathon experience! Nice work on the sign catching and cone jumping 😉 Isn’t too crazy how quickly you can feel out of whack when there is not enough fuel in the system? I’ve had similar experiences at a finish line too.

  12. Laura says:

    Congrats on such an awesome race! I think it’s awesome that you’re running another one so soon. You’re all trained up. Might as well go for it!

  13. molly says:

    sounds like you had the full experience!!! That’s great you’re going to do it again so soon, Congrats!!!

  14. congrats on your marathon! 🙂 I can relate to the emotions at the end! I started crying at the end of mine lol Have a great weekend 🙂

  15. badgergirl says:

    Are you sure you weren’t doing some multisport event? I mean, cone jumping? Sign catching? And oh, a 26.2 mile run? 🙂

    Congrats on your first marathon!

  16. Kiran says:

    Hey Olivia,

    I am so happy for you!! What a report! I felt like crying. You did great!

    Good luck with your next Marathon… Have fun!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: